Monday, August 5, 2013
Ford Sued over MyFordTouch Problems
The Center for Defensive Driving has filed a lawsuit against Ford alleging that the automaker's MyFordTouch infotainment system is faulty and that the company willfully hid flaws and touted the system as being fully operational. The nonprofit organization is asking for more than $5 million in damages.
The class-action suit says that Ford persisted in selling vehicles equipped with MyFordTouch, despite Ford CEO Alan Mulally publicly saying that the system was flawed.
The group said it leased a Ford F-150 Lariat pickup featuring MyFord Touch in February. By July 1, the suit says, the system had failed 27 times. The group then said it sought for Ford to take back the vehicle, and Ford allegedly declined and referred the group to a Sync website for troubleshooting.
"The system has been an unmitigated disaster for Ford," news reports say the lawsuit alleges. "The Internet is replete with complaints from Ford owners who have experienced significant problems with the system."
Ford has seen its quality ratings plunge as a result of problems with MyFordTouch, with Consumer Reports rating it No. 26 among 27 brands in reliability late last year.